Today is Avery's birthday and I have been thinking about what I would say in this blog for a couple of days. It seems that the English language is too limited to express how I feel about my sweet baby girl. To say that every day is a blessing is an understatement. To say that I am very grateful doesn't seem to cut it. But if you are a parent, you know how I feel. Avery makes me smile every day and she is an absolute gift from God.
Since she is one today, I thought it would be appropriate to document (with pictures) some of the ways she makes me smile. Avery loves to eat. I am very surprised that she has become the good eater that she is. We haven't had many problems, and she eats pretty much anything I offer her. While she just recently mastered the sign for "more" I don't really need it to know she wants more. I can tell when she wants more because she thrusts her tongue down to her chin and opens her mouth as wide as she can. I get it!
She is also very strong. I think every parent thinks their kid is strong, so I'll just say she is physical. Her mode of "play" when she gets a toy in her hand is to either throw it, or bang it over someone's head. Just ask Kenley, her BFF. Or should I say her PBF (Punching Bag Forever). I was really worried about her at first. I thought she was a bully, but after realizing that she is an equal opportunity puncher--she'll do it to me, dad, really whoever--then I decided that she just needed to learn to be gentle. And she has gotten MUCH better over the last few weeks. Part of being a little rough comes a determined little spirit that takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. She climbs up a slide, flips over backwards, hits her head, cries, and then goes back for more.
She is also very strong. I think every parent thinks their kid is strong, so I'll just say she is physical. Her mode of "play" when she gets a toy in her hand is to either throw it, or bang it over someone's head. Just ask Kenley, her BFF. Or should I say her PBF (Punching Bag Forever). I was really worried about her at first. I thought she was a bully, but after realizing that she is an equal opportunity puncher--she'll do it to me, dad, really whoever--then I decided that she just needed to learn to be gentle. And she has gotten MUCH better over the last few weeks. Part of being a little rough comes a determined little spirit that takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. She climbs up a slide, flips over backwards, hits her head, cries, and then goes back for more.
You can't tell it from this picture, but that bag of Mega Blocks is (or was just before the pic was shot) off the floor. She picked it up...probably to chunk it at someone. :-)
At her birthday party on Sunday, she got a wagon from Grandma (Thanks Dorothy!). The kids had a ball riding around in it. Avery preferred to push it.
But in addition to her strength, she has a softer side. She loves her baby. I think it is sort of unusual for a one year old to love baby dolls like she does, but she hugs it and kisses it and crawls around the house with it much of the day.
And as far as kissing goes, she is the cutest open mouth kisser in the world. She doesn't just slime you with her sweet little lips and her slobbery tongue. She has realized that when we kiss her, there is a sound associated with it. So she puts her tongue to the roof of her mouth and makes a "click" as she is going in for the kiss. She grabs her baby and "clicks" all over her face. How cute is that!? Here I am getting some love at her party on Sunday. Click!

Finally, while we are on the topic of things she loves, let me not forget to mention Dad at the top of the list. She LOVES her daddy. So much that it hurts my feelings at times because she prefers him over me. She also loves to clap, dance and hang upside down. Things she doesn't so much love include getting her diaper changed, getting her clothes changed and getting out of the bathtub.
I frequently comment to Matt that I can't believe she is ours. I can't believe I get to keep her forever and ever. I can't believe God used me to make her. What a miracle. I have had 365 days of pure joy and I look forward to many more.
5 comments:
Sweet Avery! When this new baby gets here, you will be thankful that she is so in love with Daddy. It will make for an easier transition. And, little boys love their Mom's. It's just different! Thanks for sharing.
Happy birthday Avery, and Happy Mommy birthday Shelly! I agree, the happier a kid is with their dad, the easier it will be on Mommy when a new baby comes along. It is truly amazing that God gives them to us! Thanks for the reminder! (Next time will be a baby update, right?!)
I love her so too... she is to cute and I can not wait to see her grow.
Happy Birthday, Avery!! What a great post, I loved learning more about the little cutie.
It was so good to see you today, Shelly! Avery is precious! (And I didn't make it through class...they had to come get me because Levi was upset. One of those days, huh?) Keep in touch!
Post a Comment