Monday, June 23, 2008

Do Not Try This At Home

Matt tells me that I shouldn't be telling everyone about this, so I guess I'll just go ahead and blog about it for the world to see. :-) This is one of those Mom Of The Year type moments. We reinacted it today and took pictures exclusively for this blog, so I hope you enjoy. Avery performed her own stunts and she was not harmed or injured in the reinactment.

I have a routine with Avery in the mornings. I usually feed her and then put her in her swing to watch the mobile and digest her food. I can't usually put her on her tummy right after eating due to the fact that she'll spit up. The same goes for the sitting position. So my options are to hold her, put her on her back (but that is how she sleeps, so that is out) or to put her in a sitting, but reclined position in her swing for a few minutes. Many times I sit on the ground and play with her, but Sunday I had to finish preparing for my Bible lesson. So I put her in her swing and gave her a toy, clamped the tray on her swing down and walked away.

I was in the office when I heard a loud scream and some crying. I sprinted into the room to find her flat on her back on the floor. You guessed it. She fell out of the swing. Because I did what you are never supposed to do and left her unattended. She was more scared than hurt, but my heart was definitely hurt. I felt terrible. I still feel terrible.

In case you are wondering, the answer is no. No, I didn't have her strapped in because I ignorantly thought the tray would be sufficient to keep her in. It wasn't.

So we reinacted this event today. Here is how I think it happened:


She must have started just by playing and having a good time in her swing (I don't actually swing it--she just watches the mobile because the idea is to keep her awake and spit-up free).

Uh-oh, I dropped my toy. I better reach for it. . .



THUD. Uh-huh, Uh-huh, Uh-huh! You sorry mom! Why did you leave me unattended!



Don't cry, mom. I'm okay.


On the actual day she fell, she did land in that exact position, but she wasn't smiling. Thankfully she was okay. She didn't have far to fall, but it was very sad for me.

8 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Are little Avery is growing up and I hate to say but this is just the first time mom... there will be more to come... I will always remember the first time Pierce rolled off the couch... he screamed bloody murder and I just remember holding him in my arms on my knees and praying that he would be ok... it is so scray and I feel for you but I love the fact that you reinacted it... awesome... and you just tell Matt to take a chill pill... all of us that read your blog either alredy knew that this happened or knew that it was going to happen... it is part of growing up... We love you Matt :-).

Bethany said...

And THAT is what carpet is for, ladies and gentlemen. It's okay Shelly! Once I went in to Elliott's room when she was just waking up, fortunately she hadn't stood up yet because the side of the crib was DOWN. So maybe we can share that mother of the year award.

Kristen Ballard said...

Oh, honey. I stopped breathing for a few seconds after Walker rolled off the couch when he was, oh about, 5 weeks old!! It was totally my fault and I sat on the floor just bawling. That makes me laugh that you did a reinactment.
What beautiful posts about Tyndale. I love the song on the blog, too. Your words were so heartfelt and beautiful about your little girl.

Rory and Cindy said...

This kind of stuff happens to everyone! I let Makayla fall out of her crib when she was little, all because we hadn't lowered the mattress down. Live and learn!!!

bcstark said...

Jackson fell off our bed once - thankfully it's a platform bed so it's low to the ground, but still... it scared us half to death! God sure makes babies resilient, doesn't He? :)

Callie said...

Shelly,
Thank you for sharing your grief, pain, and feelings about Tyndale. Know that I am praying for you.

Rachel Kerbel said...

you still have my vote for mom of the year, it's not like you locked your baby in the car in the summer heat or anything...i mean. no...i never did that. um...anyways, you still have my vote!

Chuck and Jules said...

Shelly,
I happily stumbled upon your blog! How nice to know how you're doing and what you're up to. Avery is precious. Can't wait til Charlie comes home so I can show him! You are in our prayers as your heart heals and your faith strengthens. What an inspiration you are to me. Email us sometime- we need to fill you in on the Phillipines! the_johansons@yahoo.com