Yesterday I attended a funeral for a man from my church. About three weeks ago he passed out at work. Doctors discovered that he had 2 brian tumors that were inoperable, and they sent him home with Hospice care.
Thoughts of why entered my mind as I contemplated what a sweet soul this man was. Why would God allow him to leave this earth? He spent much of his day studying the word and praying for others. He was a true servant of the Lord. Why was his time here cut short? Thoughts of why naturally transferred over to Tyndale. I don't understand it. But before I go on too much about that, I'll tell you what I do understand: God's ways are not our ways. It is not for us to know why, but for us to trust that God will work all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). God promises many things, but He doesn't promise a pain-free existence. He doesn't promise fairness (see Job).
Just as my heart has been broken by the devastation of losing Tyndale, it has been mended by the overwhelming love from friends and family. I got two bouquets of flowers delivered this week. I could write PAGES describing the loving phone calls, cards, plants (that I still have) and gifts I got 2 years ago when she passed. But I am still getting those things. What a blessing it is to me to have such great friends! If not for Tyndale, I probably wouldn't have such deep friendships.
I think I'm also a bit more patient with Avery as a result of losing Tyndale. Don't get me wrong, I still get frustrated. Very frustrated. And I have lost my cool. But I am reminded that fussy days and loud screams are far preferable to the deafening silence of a lifeless heart. Thanks to Tyndale, I appreciate life a bit more and I have a greater understanding of its fragility. Thanks to my experience with Tyndale I am able to share this piece of my heart that I might not otherwise share. And I might not otherwise have it to share.
By no means do I have it all figured out. I still get sad and I cry. I still have pity parties. I know it is okay to grieve. It is okay to ask why. But God has revealed to me that it is unproductive to dwell on why. That is His business. What is productive is to trust Him and live with an eternal perspective. I have such peace and joy knowing that Tyndale will never deal with the trials of this world. The only arms she will ever know are those of Jesus. What a wonderful thing! And I can rejoice for the man at my church. Tears streamed down my face at his funeral. I will miss his example. I'm sad that Avery won't get to know him. But he is in a better place. So I suppose the question should not be why, but when do I get to go?
I put a playlist on my blog. (You probably know this by now.) The first song that should come up is Bring the Rain by Mercy Me. What a great song. I hope it encourages you in your times of trial as it has encouraged me.
14For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15from whom his whole family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 20Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Epehsians 3:14-21
11 comments:
Shelly,
As your heart is aching for your Tyndale, I, along with others, want so much to be able to reach out and comfort you and give you strength and you are the one giving out strength and encouragement. You are an amazing woman. God tells us to everything there is a season and a time for every purpose under Heaven. Your little Tyndale has touched so many hearts and hopefully, brought them closer to Jesus. What an amazing little girl. You have to be so proud of your little angel. Thank you for offering a piece of your heart.
God's Blessings,
Berte
Thank you Shelly for once again reminding me of how truly blessed I am. Bring on the fussy days. I know that Tyndale is with Jesus. I don't know what heaven is all about, but she must know by now that she has the most amazing mother. I miss the little baby that I never knew, but I am so thankful for what she has taught me. We love you all. T
Shelly,
My dear friend... thank you for sharing Tyndale with all of us... we love her so much and we will let you, Matt and your family have the first hugs and kisses in heaven but we are in line next. You are an amazing mother and a wonderful child of God. Your faith has always been amazing to me. You encourage so many by your testimony. Just like the song says, And I know there will be days when this life brings me pain, but if thats what it takes to praise you.. bring the rain. I Love You.
Shelly, your sweet post was a good reminder to value the people around me. You have such a heart for God and it is evident in what you write - you are an inspiration. Hugs from Abilene!
I have probably never told you, but i love you too! thanks for being such a great sister and addition to our family. The only thing i have to offer are my secret tears. that sweet Tyndale. what a name and what a girl. i sent an e-mail to matt, and all applies to you. love you sis!
rach
p.s. what in the world with the blog! amazing!!! please share:)
Shelly, Thank you for writing this. Just as you feel blessed by the love others have shown you, you are blessing many through sharing this. I needed the reminder that a fussy baby is not the worst thing. I have been thinking about my dad a lot lately, as I always do at this time of year, and I needed your other reminder that it's not for me to understand why he's not here, serving others and loving his granddaughters, but to trust God anyway. Now excuse me while I go find some kleenex.
Thank you for sharing! Your faith and ability to express what you have lived through and continue to live through are powerful proof of God at work in you! You are Tyndale's voice and in telling her story she truly is touching lives!
Blessings,
Donna
Shelly,
We just got home from Zenith yesterday and I just wanted to let you know that I had been thinking about you and Matt and Tyndale. My heart still goes out to you and both of your families at this time. Ron and I were on our way to Zenith 2 years ago when Mandy called us and told us about her. You so correct about our ways and Gods ways being not the same. We just have to trust and pray. We love all of you very much and wanted to let you know that we were thinking and praying for you.
Love and God bless,
Leslie and Ron Rutledge
Shelly,
We just got home from Zenith yesterday and I just wanted to let you know that I had been thinking about you and Matt and Tyndale. My heart still goes out to you and both of your families at this time. Ron and I were on our way to Zenith 2 years ago when Mandy called us and told us about her. You so correct about our ways and Gods ways being not the same. We just have to trust and pray. We love all of you very much and wanted to let you know that we were thinking and praying for you.
Love and God bless,
Leslie and Ron Rutledge
It amazes me how you can be so strong and continue to reach out to others when you are in pain. Whether you know it or not, you are a wonderful example to me, and everyone that knows you. Your faith in God inspires me to be a better woman, wife, and mother. I love you! Marisa
Post a Comment