Thursday, February 5, 2009

A SAHM Must Read!!!!


This is ABSOLUTE greatness.  Every stay at home mom must read this!  I feel validated.  It has taken me about 14 months (Avery is 14 1/2, by-the-way) to feel like I have got this stay-at-home thing down.  I have contemplated going back to work because 1. teaching full time (as hard as it is) is easier than staying home and 2. I just don't feel like I do at good job at staying home.  But I have gotten over a hill, and I have some things figured out.  I'll enjoy it for the next month or so and then Reagan will be here and I'll have another 14 months to figure out managing TWO!  :-)  I used to be like Tacoma.  I looked at other moms (knowing I would probably be staying at home one day) and I would think to myself, "How hard can it be?".  Well, the reality is that even with one easy child at home, this job is not for the faint of heart. It is physically taxing.  It is emotionally taxing.  But it is the most rewarding job in the world.  (And arguably the most important too!)  

8 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Amen... glad you feel validated.... you should you are a great mom and do a great job... I can not wait to see how you do it with 2... I will be taking notes.

Rachel Kerbel said...

i don't really have time to type a message, but thought i better! hehe j/k!
i think we have all been tacoma at some point in our lives, but snap out of it when God gives such a huge responsibility to us:)

Unknown said...

Love the article! I have always known it would be hard to stay at home but my mom made me so annoyed when she found out I wanted to quit my job to officially become a SAHM. She said that I would not be able to stay at home and do nothing. I cannot think of one day when there was nothing to do. Love my life as a SAHM but know too well it's a life only understood by those who live it too!

Julia said...

I have actually already thought about going back to work because after just a few weeks I am exhausted. (Maybe that is the 3 hours of sleep I get at night. Not sure....) I really am excited to stay home, but I know that there are going to be days that I wonder if that is really such a good idea.

Cara said...

So, I have to be honest. though I know it's likely the pregnancy hormones, this article just made me cry. LOL. While I am SO excited to meet this little baby inside of me in the next 5-6 months, I am SO scared to have such a great responsibility of teaching it everything and being so greatly depended on. Though always a confident person in my ability of doing almost anything, feeling prepared for motherhood may be the most overwhelming to date! Especially when compared to any professional responsibility in the workplace.

Lisa said...

Hey Shelly. Love the article...have already passed it along to a few friends. Hey - are you going to the retreat with Camille next weekend? Cara & I are going to the same one!!!

Elasha said...

Hey girl. It was great to see you today! I wish we could have had more time to visit!!! We will definitly have to catch up during "play dates" after our boys are here!

Love you girl!

Anonymous said...

It does take a while to really feel like you've "got" it, doesn't it!?! Two is a whole other ball game, though. You'll do GREAT!! The newborn stage is hard with the second one because you're up so much at night and then the older one still needs you in the morning, but the baby will still sleep a lot during the day so that helps a lot!