Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend Fun

Memorial Day seems to have become a time of shopping and outdoor fun. I doubt that many school-age children even know what the word means, much less why it is considered a holiday. So before I begin this blog about our wonderful weekend (that included both shopping and outdoor fun) I do have to give thanks to the service men and women who have fought so hard for this wonderful country in which I live. I am thankful to them and I don't take their service for granted. I am fully aware that without their sacrifice, I would not have the freedom to attend church, to speak freely and to even sit here typing this blog. God bless them and their families!

Our weekend began with a trip to Abilene to see our friends Kevin and Linda. We went to the zoo on Saturday. I have to admit that I had my doubts about the good 'ole Abilene Zoo. I have been to many zoos in this state--some bad and some good. And I pre-judged this little zoo as being pretty bad, but it was actually quite nice! In my defense, my judgment wasn't completely unwarranted. When you pay for your ticket, you can also buy crackers to feed the animals. When I saw that I thought, "What kind of zoo lets you feed the animals?" I figured that the zoo must only have birds and rodents (no major flagship species) if they are letting you feed them. But as I said before, I was wrong. It turned out to be a great time and seeing the black bear stretch his tongue out to grab the cracker that was tossed to him was quite a funny sight!

The giraffes were really cool too, although they weren't interested in eating our crackers.


We left Abilene on Monday morning in time to go out on the boat with Ron and Dorothy. This was Avery's maiden voyage and she did awesome!


Once the boat started going fast, she went into survival mode. She held on tight, but she barely said a word. I don't know if this picture does it justice, but her knuckles were white as she held onto Dorothy's arm with one hand and her life-jacket with the other.


Ron and Dorothy have had their boat for a year now, but last year I just got to be a cheerleader for everyone else who wakeboarded because I was prego with lil Ave. This year I got to get my wakeboard on! This was only my second time to ever wakeboard, so forgive my technique. I'm sure I look very awkward to someone who knows how to do it. That is how I felt anyway. The wind was heavy and the water was REALLY choppy. I didn't really struggle to get up, but I definitely struggled to stay up. I snowboard and wakeboard "goofy" style which means my right leg leads. I wonder if I might be more comfortable doing it the other way, but you know what they say about old dogs . . .


At some point during all the fun, Avery finally gave up her fear and just fell asleep. She was too cute!

Once we were back at the house, it was back to toe-sucking as usual. She even offered her other foot to Grandpa! How sweet of her!

7 comments:

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Oh my she is so cute and I love seeing her on the boat... what a little angel and when is the hair going to grow in.. It took Pierce forever as well... they truly were meant to be together... thanks for sharing and great blogging... I felt like I was there with you.

Kristen Ballard said...

fun, fun. We love zoos, too. I have never been to the Abilene zoo but would have had the same pre notions about it as well.
Go, girl with the wakeboarding- AWESOME!!!

Rachel Kerbel said...

ok, so you know you rock on the snowboarding and wakeboarding! I can't wait to get out there again! I just hate wiping out-although we did get outside the wake (sp?) last time-and then i thought-great! now what. avery grabbing onto that life jacket is sooo cute! fun fun!

Bethany said...

I am the only Tinius who can't water-ski, so I think you look great! Love Avery's expressions!

Anonymous said...

Such cute pictures! I love the giraffe exhibit at the Abilene zoo, actually it's been so long since I visited the zoo there, I really only remember that exhibit. :) I'd like to take Emma there someday too.

Rachel Kerbel said...

we are coming up this weekend! game on-wakeboard on!:)

Callie said...

I'm lovin' the baby bjorn pic....that girl is just chillin'! She is precious!!!