Monday, May 19, 2008

More Peas, Please!

Avery is 6 months old today and she is now eating solids. We started rice cereal on May 10 and I gave her peas for the first time on Friday, May 16th. She totally gagged and I was immediately discouraged. From what I understand, her reaction was completely normal, but her nostrils were flaring and she looked at me with a look of betrayal that completely broke my heart. One of my best friends told me that introducing solids is a lot like nursing and that I just need to keep going because it DOES get better. Well, it did. Yesterday she was smiling, probably less because she likes peas and more because I was distracting her with my weenie dog, but whatever works, right? I was able to get the whole jar of peas down her, and she didn't flare those little nostrils once!



Okay Mom, I've eaten the whole jar . . . That's enough!

We also had her well-check yesterday. She weighs 16 lbs 8 1/2 oz. (just below 75%). She is 26 3/4 inches long (just below 90%). Her head is 16 3/4 inches around (just above 50%). I always love getting her weighed and measured. I don't really know why, I just think it is cool to see where she falls on the charts. My mom likes to playfully remind me that I was ALWAYS in the 100th percentile for EVERYTHING. Hmmm . . . Thanks, mom. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute pictures! I always liked trying new foods with Emma and I liked finding out the weight and height information too. :)

Rachel Kerbel said...

she is doing so good! sorry so late on the post, i was organizing and shopping for carson's class teacher gifts. i have some more cute pics i'll put up as well. so glad you came down!!!

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

Hillarious... I love the pics and your commentary... she is a really good mixture of both of you... you need to the face match thing...I love to find out how big Pierce is too... not sure why... and I am glad to hear that Avery does not have her momma's head... HE HE HE

bcstark said...

Wow, that is GREAT that she likes peas - I am quite jealous! :) Jackson has had several gagging/throwup incidents involving peas.

Glad she's doing so well- she really is so adorable!

Rory and Cindy said...

Yea for food! I still like getting my girls weighed and measured to see where they fall on the charts! At one point Makayla was in the 5th percent for weight and Brooklyn was in the 10th...must be because I'm so petite!!!

Kristen Ballard said...

So cute- the first one with all smiles and peas on her face is SOO cute.
That story of Matt and the quicksand had me laughing a rolling my eyes. Why does everything crazy ALWAYS happen to the Kacsmaryks??? The are the most accident prone people for being so athletic!!!