Wednesday, January 21, 2009

97.94 GB

Over the last several weeks, I've discovered the value of gigabytes.  I'm not even entirely sure that GB stands for gigabyte and I'm not exactly sure what they do.  But I do know this:  without them, your computer doesn't work very well.  My computer started giving me "disk full" warnings a few weeks ago.  I would just ignore them and continue with my business.  Then the warnings got a bit more explicit: "must free space".  I discovered that out of 152.35 GB of space on a hard-drive, I didn't even have enough to burn pictures to a disc.  It was INTENSELY frustrating to be told to clear space, but then when you try, your computer tells you it can't.  Hmmm...  So off to Best Buy I went to get an external hard-drive that everyone keeps telling me about.  "Oh, just store all your video and pictures to it!  It's soo easy!"  Easy, shmeasy.  I have a Mac and while most things with a Mac ARE easy, this has not been.  I hooked it up, transferred my entire iPhoto library to it (5,000+ pictures), deleted the pictures from my computer hard-drive and, walla!  All my pictures were gone from BOTH hard-drives.  My heart raced, my palms got clammy and I immediately called Mac support.  Thankfully they got my pictures back.  I was on the phone with him for over an hour trying to gain some understanding about how to use this external hard-drive, but to be honest, once I got my pics back, I sort of tuned out.  At that point, I just started deleting individual photos that I didn't need.  I did this until I had enough space to burn the rest of them to a disc.  And I have burned most of Avery's life to CD's.  I have also created a DVD of all of her home video so I could delete the video from my computer.  I burned it yesterday and it took NINE HOURS!!!!!  But as a result, I have 97.94 GB!!!!!  Woo Hoo!  

So I still don't get how to use this external hard-drive.  If anyone has any helpful hints, send them my way.  It can't be as hard as I am making it.  I'm not an idiot.  I can usually figure things like this out.  But after the scare of deleting all my pictures, I'm a bit hesitant to store anything on it.  I'll be blogging a bit later about our family vacation.  Yeah, that's the one that I promised almost a month ago...  I just didn't have the hard-drive space to download the pics and the video of Avery.  I think I've got it under control now.  We'll see...

3 comments:

bcstark said...

Wow, that would have made me pass out to think I'd lost all my photos & video! Glad everything got resolved.

Brian has our computer (iMac) set up to a device called a Time Capsule. It backs up our computer on a regular basis and I *think* it acts as an external drive too. Anyway if you ever have any computer-related questions Brian can usually answer them - and I'll volunteer him to help you if you ever need it! :)

Camille, Blake, Pierce and baby Asher said...

glad you got your pictures back... I would have been terrified. Blake has always worried that I have our whole married life captured on one computer...what did they do before computers???? I can't wait to see you...

Kristen Ballard said...

OH man! I know that stuff is scary. We have a Mac and had major issues this past fall. I have an external drive, and I had to install it differently since it was a Mac. I thought it didn't work and was ready to take it back- turns out I didn't have it installed...DUHH!!
It's such a beating doing all that backing up and cleaning out to get extra space on your hard drive.
I'm so glad you didn't lose anything.